Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Beyond the Pale (2006)


Beyond the Pale is an indie anthology that presents three different stories, all directed by Mark Steensland.

The first is The Visitor and tells of an unwanted late night guest that drudges up some painful memories.

The second, entitled Sucker, shows how a child predator/killer gets more than he bargained for when he kidnaps a seemingly innocent girl.

The third story is Lovecraft's Pillow, in which a writer gains inspiration from a pillow that belonged to H.P. Lovecraft at a high price.

All of the films clock in at less than 10 minutes, so they are definitely short shorts! I didn't care much for The Visitor, as I saw the ending coming, but I did enjoy the other two. Sucker especially took me by surprise with its satisfying twist ending. Lovecraft's Pillow was also a pleasant short film.

The films themselves look pretty good for shorts; the camera angles are all tight and very professional looking. For independent film, the acting was quite good.

My main complaint is that the films are too short! I would love to see what would happen if the films were longer...

Overall, a good effort by an independent filmmaker whose work I look forward to seeing more of in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...