Thursday, February 4, 2010

Interview with Spooky Brew's Maryanne Schultz


Maryanne Schultz grew up in the small town of Milford, Connecticut, where she lived for 19 years of her life. When she left to attend Full Sail University, she found her dream of working in films and fell in love with the horror genre. After graduating, Maryanne moved to California and started her horror blog, Spooky Brew.

She now lives with two filmmaker friends, Tom Devlin and Lola Wallace who currently run 1313FX and Plan 10 Pictures. She’s expressed her love of horror outside of her blog by working for such events as Halloween Horror Nights doing costuming and working at conventions for Troma Entertainment. She has also worked on a few films doing special makeup FX. Spooky Brew was recently nominated for the Horror Blogger Award by Bloody-Disgusting.com.

Fatally Yours: How did you fall in love with the horror genre? 

Maryanne Schultz: My first memory with the horror genre goes back when I was about 6 or 7 and I received my Super Nintendo along with a game called Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Little did I know this one game would start off my biggest obsession. My mom would play that game for hours straight. The music still haunts me. This is also how chainsaws became one of my biggest fears.

Fatally Yours: How and when did you start writing about the horror genre?

Maryanne Schultz: I started Spooky Brew last summer. Honestly, I did it because all I would do is watch horror movies and I figured why not write my opinions. I never expected that many people to read it.

Fatally Yours: What is one thing you’ve done within the horror genre that you are most proud of?

Maryanne Schultz: When I was 20, I worked on a film called For Christ’s Sake doing all of the special effects involved. I feel like that was an accomplishment in itself at the time since I was still in school. I would have to drive from school two hour and a half hours to our filming location just about every other day. Working on this film introduced me to so many great people and is basically how I’ve worked on any project since than.

Fatally Yours: How would you convince people who aren’t horror fans to give the genre a try?

Maryanne Schultz: A few of my friends actually don’t like horror movies and I try to ease them in by watching either some of the goofier ones or the more serious ones with less of the horror aspects.

Fatally Yours: In your opinion, what constitutes a good horror review? What guidelines do you follow when reviewing something?

Maryanne Schultz: In my opinion, I feel that horror reviews should be fun to read. I love reading reviews that make me laugh or make me feel like I’m learning a lot. My biggest fear in writing reviews is that they will be too boring and no one will read them. You want to make your readers want to read more and look forward to your next post.

Fatally Yours: As a woman who writes about horror, have you found it harder to be taken seriously in a genre that seems to be dominated by males? 

Maryanne Schultz: No, honestly not at all. I’ve never had a problem with it. I don’t think it should matter.

Fatally Yours: Since you’ve been involved with the horror genre, have you noticed a change in women’s roles within horror whether it be roles in horror films, women behind the camera or women writers?

Maryanne Schultz: Not really, I feel like it’s been the same. I really don’t judge or try to look for it. There are some amazing women in horror and there are some amazing men in horror.

Fatally Yours: What women in horror do you admire?

Maryanne Schultz:  I admire my roommate, Lola Wallace a lot actually. She’s produced, edited, directed, and written a few of her own films including The Trek and Legend of the Sandsquatch. Her more recent project that’s soon to be released is called Halfway To Hell.

Fatally Yours: What inspires, influences and motivates you to keep writing about horror?

Maryanne Schultz: I think what motives me is getting more of the independent films out there the credit and exposure they deserve. I feel like the people that I have met that are into horror influence me. I honestly feel like everywhere I go I talk to at least one person who loves horror or has worked in the horror field and all it ever does is make me want to write more.

Fatally Yours: What are your favorite horror films and books?

Maryanne Schultz: My all time favorite horror film is The Thing. I actually didn’t see this film until I was in college, which is kind of embarrassing to say. I loved how even at 20 I was terrified of a movie and I have loved it ever since. As far as books go I really love American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis.

Fatally Yours: Outside of horror what do you enjoy doing?

Maryanne Schultz: Outside of horror I enjoy playing video games. Going to the movies with friends or watching them at home. I like going to an occasional rock show once and a while. While I worked at Disney I really enjoyed hanging out with my work friends in the park after a long day. I also really enjoy cooking and food in general. I’ve often thought about making a food blog.

Fatally Yours: What are your goals for yourself within the horror genre?

Maryanne Schultz: I would love to work on more films doing make-up and special effects since that’s what I ultimately want to do with my life. Another goal is to eventually down the road write a script for a horror film but maybe not just yet.

Fatally Yours: Where can people find your reviews/more info on you?

Maryanne Schultz: You can find more info or reviews from me over at my blog, Spooky Brew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...