Monday, February 1, 2010

Interview with Dollar Bin Horror's Rhonda Kachur


Rhonda Kachur, otherwise known as “Rhonny Reaper”, is a 19 year old self-professed “horror freak” that runs Dollar Bin Horror, the blog for horror fans on a budget! Her goal with Dollar Bin Horror is to turn it into a small, low budget production company where she can create her own Dollar Bin Horror films.

Fatally Yours: How did you fall in love with the horror genre? 

Rhonda Kachur: Well I started watching horror when I was about 4 years old. My parents weren’t really concerned with what I was watching so I ended up watching a lot of Tales from the Crypt. My obsession with it started when I was 14. My dad watched the first Saw movie with me and I was hooked on horror ever since.

Fatally Yours: What does horror mean to you?

Rhonda Kachur: Horror to me is a stress reliever, a boredom cure, a life saver. When I’m feeling down, angry, and just bad, they make me feel better. Without horror movies, I’d be in a looney bin (ironic huh).

Fatally Yours: How and when did you start writing about the horror genre?

Rhonda Kachur: I started writing about it almost 2 years ago. I used to have a movie review Myspace, but then Myspace started being a royal douche and I had to delete it. Luckily I found Blogger and my current site, Dollar Bin Horror, has been up for about 2-3 months.

Fatally Yours: What is one thing you’ve done within the horror genre that you are most proud of?

Rhonda Kachur: I would have to say my blog, Dollar Bin Horror. I never thought that my little blog would get any exposure, but now I’m doing interviews, getting requests for reviews, and was the first runner up in the Ms Horror Blogosphere competition. I’m shocked and grateful for how far it’s come.

Fatally Yours: How would you convince people who aren’t horror fans to give the genre a try?
Rhonda Kachur: A lot of my friends who don’t like horror say it’s because of all the blood and nasty parts of the genre (I happen to love that part!). I would ease them into it. Show them some films that aren’t gory a bloody but instead give you a mental uneasiness.

Fatally Yours: In your opinion, what constitutes a good horror review? What guidelines do you follow when reviewing something?

Rhonda Kachur: I like reviews that simply tell it like it is while having fun with it. I hate when people are too serious. My one big deal is if you don’t like a film, don’t just say you hated it; give a good reason. If I don’t like a movie, I’ll tell you if it’s the acting the story line, whatever. I’m not just gonna say “this sucks don’t watch it” ‘cause no one will listen to your argument if you don’t have one.

Fatally Yours: Do you feel women in horror get the proper recognition when compared to their male counterparts?

Rhonda Kachur: It’s probably a little more difficult for women simply because this is a mostly male dominated genre, but if your work is good and you work hard for what you want, I don’t think it matters what’s between your legs.

Fatally Yours: As a woman who writes about horror, have you found it harder to be taken seriously in a genre that seems to be dominated by males? 


Rhonda Kachur: I really don’t think it matters if you’re a man or women. If you know your stuff, have strong opinions and can back them up, and can use your knowledge of the genre to your advantage, you can go as far as you want.

Fatally Yours: Since you’ve been involved with the horror genre, have you noticed a change in women’s roles within horror whether it be roles in horror films, women behind the camera or women writers?

Rhonda Kachur: Yeah women are coming and showing that they can do just as well in this genre as any man and it makes me smile. We are showing we are tough, we know what were talking about, and we have a voice in horror.

Fatally Yours: What women in horror do you admire?

Rhonda Kachur: There are so many! First of course are the classic Scream Queens such as Fay Ray, Hazel Court, and Barbara Shelly. Then there are current ones like Sheri Moon Zombie and underground ones like Monique Dupree. Plus horror authors like Mary Shelley and Anne Rice. I think, though, my favorite woman in horror is Elvira. She’s sexy, funny, and the person behind the character, Cassandra Peterson, is business savvy, smart, and knows how to outlast the test of time.

Fatally Yours: What inspires, influences and motivates you to keep writing about horror?

Rhonda Kachur: My love for the genre itself keeps me going. I love horror and having my own little corner of it gives me a lot of joy.

Fatally Yours: What are your favorite horror films and books?

Rhonda Kachur: Do you know how difficult it is to choose! I would say my favorite films are the original Nosferatu, the original Dawn of the Dead, Bride of Frankenstein, House of 1000 Corpses, and the Saw films.

My favorite books are Gerald’s Game and IT (actually anything) by Stephen King, Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill, The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks, How to Survive a Horror Movie by Seth Grahame-Smith, and the Zen Of Zombie by Scott Kenemore.

Fatally Yours: Outside of horror what do you enjoy doing?

Rhonda Kachur: I love to sing. Actually I’ve been singing longer than I have been watching horror movies. My dad has a band and I sing with them plus I sing competitively.

Fatally Yours: What are your goals for yourself within the horror genre?

Rhonda Kachur: Someday I want to turn Dollar Bin Horror into a production company for low budget horror films and to act I horror movies as well.

Fatally Yours: Where can people find your reviews/more info on you?

Rhonda Kachur: The can find my reviews and interviews at http://dollarbinhorror.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...