Friday, February 5, 2010

Interview with Horror Critic Kristin Grasso Theckston


Sometimes being the “ghostess with the mostess” is a hard job but somebody’s gotta do it. Luckily, Kristin Grasso Theckston, aka The Angry Princess, was born with the love of writing and has been writing short stories and poetry since the third grade. Kristin writes for numerous websites, most of them about the horror genre. When she isn’t writing, you might catch her haunting a house, strolling through a graveyard or exploring abandoned and decrepit insane asylums. She has a life-long love of horror and adores all the blood and gore the genre throws at her.

Fatally Yours: How did you fall in love with the horror genre? 

Kristin Grasso Theckston: It’s funny, as a kid, I liked them but they would honestly scare me to death. But I was addicted to that scare even though at night I would get myself so worked up I would hear noises and swear it was whatever creature I had watched coming to get me. Eventually I just became obsessed and couldn’t get enough. I watched whatever I could get my little hands on.

Fatally Yours: What does horror mean to you?

Kristin Grasso Theckston: It means something that will scare you, make you think the impossible could happen like monsters taking over your body, or a masked maniac hiding in your closet just waiting for you to fall asleep so they can skin you alive. It’s a safe scare knowing that even though you might think they are coming for you they really aren’t.

Fatally Yours: How and when did you start writing about the horror genre?

Kristin Grasso Theckston: About four or five years ago. I wanted to contribute to something I loved so much. Most people don’t realize that most of us work our asses off and don’t receive a dime for it. We really do it for the love of horror. I love everything about it and love hitting up the conventions.

Fatally Yours: What is one thing you’ve done within the horror genre that you are most proud of?

Kristin Grasso Theckston: I think interviewing and meeting actors that I have admired for so long for all of their work within the genre. It really makes you feel good when the director emails you with praise on your reviews or uses one of your quotes for their DVD’s – it makes it all worth it.

Fatally Yours: How would you convince people who aren’t horror fans to give the genre a try?

Kristin Grasso Theckston: It does stink that lots of my girlfriends do not like anything scary. But I will tell them to check out a film if I know they will really like it. I tell them that they shouldn’t get so freaked out because it’s only a movie for God’s sake. Some people will not budge though and that’s alright since not everyone is cut out for horror.

Fatally Yours: In your opinion, what constitutes a good horror review? What guidelines do you follow when reviewing something?

Kristin Grasso Theckston: It’s funny when I first started out I would totally blast independent films for their lack of special effects and things like that but you have to really think about how they don’t have the budget that most Hollywood producers do. Now I go by these rules – don’t just rip it to shreds because of itss visuals and appreciate what they are trying to do or portray. Sometimes I will come by some really awful films but try to see something good in it.

Fatally Yours: Do you feel women in horror get the proper recognition when compared to their male counterparts?

Kristin Grasso Theckston: I think now a days they are better recognized. They aren’t just victims anymore and some have been even branded as the uber cool title of Scream Queen, it doesn’t get much better than that!

Fatally Yours: As a woman who writes about horror, have you found it harder to be taken seriously in a genre that seems to be dominated by males? 

Kristin Grasso Theckston: I honestly have never had a problem with this issue. It seems that people whether they are male or female like my work. Which I am extremely grateful for.

Fatally Yours: Since you’ve been involved with the horror genre, have you noticed a change in women’s roles within horror whether it be roles in horror films, women behind the camera or women writers?

Kristin Grasso Theckston: I think so, they are not always the victims anymore. Instead of seeing them do they standard trip in the woods when running from the maniac and then getting caught and slaughtered, we see them be the slaughterer or be the last one standing which is great in my eyes.

Fatally Yours: What women in horror do you admire?

Kristin Grasso Theckston: I love Linnea Quigley, Tiffany Shepis, Debbi Rochon, Jamie Lee Curtis, Karen Black, Tippi Hedron, Asia Argento, Rachel Grubb, Monique Dupree, Ashley Lawrence, P.J. Soles, Sherri Moon Zombie, Fairuza Balk, Besty Palmer, Brinke Stevens, Emily Haack.

Fatally Yours: What inspires, influences and motivates you to keep writing about horror?

Kristin Grasso Theckston: I guess you could say it’s like an addiction, I just love it. Some movies that come out are just mind blowing and makes you think I just love this shit! I am inspired by the magnitude it holds on me.

Fatally Yours: What are your favorite horror films and books?

Kristin Grasso Theckston: I love Tourist Trap, Amityville HorrorTerror Train, He Knows Your Alone, Funhouse, Poltergeist, Hellraiser, Friday the 13th, The Birds, Session 9Creature From the Black Lagoon, Bad Dreams, Five Across The Eyes, The Exorcist, so many more.

Books I love Nature of the Daughters, When the Autumn Moon is Bright, Spattered Beauty, The Witch of Hainted Holler, Sylvanian Vampire, Ladies Night, The Girl Next DoorOffspring, The Blackstone Chronicles, Nightshade

Fatally Yours: Outside of horror what do you enjoy doing?

Kristin Grasso Theckston: I love to read, write, music, review films, spend time with my family, see friends, go to concerts, watch reality TV shows for the drama since I don’t like it when it’s in my life, rollerblading (even though it’s been awhile), and just veg out and watch movies and enjoy life. I am not  a big partier anymore so I am normally house bound.

Fatally Yours: What are your goals for yourself within the horror genre?

Kristin Grasso Theckston: I would love to be in a horror movie – just a bloody victim or something. I don’t want to act, I don’t think I’d be to good at it. Maybe write a horror book, keep reviewing movies especially the horror flicks…maybe get paid for all the work I do.

Fatally Yours: Where can people find your reviews/more info on you?

Kristin Grasso Theckston: I have a blog: http://angryprincessslashes.blogspot.com/ I write for the following sites: www.horrorsociety.comwww.horrornews.net, www.chainsawmafia.com, and www.bacstagepass.com which is currently under construction. Finally I have a fan page on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...