Monday, September 4, 2006

Blood Feast (1963)


This 1963 Herschell Gordon Lewis film focuses on a serial killer who is obsessed with the Egyptian goddess Ishtar. He kills young women and takes certain body parts for a sacrifice to Ishtar. The killer is also planning an Egyptian feast for a debutante...an Egyptian feast no one will soon forget!

I went into this movie knowing that it would be a horrible exploitation flick, but I guess I didn't realize just how bad it would be! I was completely bored the whole way through...the acting is horrible, the direction is shoddy, the effects are gory, but cheap and fake. I couldn't sit through it all...it was just way too lame for me.

I wanted to see this movie because Herschell Gordon Lewis is the Godfather of Gore...but if a movie just focuses on the gore and doesn't take time to make me care about the characters or story, then it's just not worth it for me. I need a movie with a little more substance.

However, this film shows us the roots of where horror came from and its amazing to think on how little money this film was made! Of definite interest for future horror filmmakers looking to make a movie on the cheap as well as horror buffs who want to go back to the genre's beginnings.

On Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...